Texas Civil War Flags one day display in Sherman
September 17, 2011
11th Texas Cavalry
|In 1861 Men from north Texas came together outside Sherman, Texas at Camp Reeves to form the 11th Texas Cavalry. Women from Gainesville and Sherman created a flag for their men to follow. The women from each city agreed to construct one side of the flag. The design was to be a white banner with a circle of 10 stars with a single large star in the center. One side would be red stars and the other side blue stars. This white field would have bars of blue, red, white and then blue again. Seamstresses met to join the 2 sides as the men of the 11th Texas Cavalry were preparing to depart Camp Reeves. In their haste to complete the flag for the men it was discovered one of the blue stars had been lost and only 9 blue stars sewn on. A search located the missing star, however not enough time remained for the stars to be removed and correctly arranged. The 10th blue star was sewn on in the right lower corner producing a very unique one of a kind flag.|
|This flag is owned by the United Daughters of the
Confederacy. It was on a one day loan from the UDC's Texas Civil War Museum in Ft. Worth.
The flag, made of silk, has a mesh cloth covering to arrest deterioration and is encased
in protective glass. September 17th 2011 was the first time the flag had returned to
Sherman in 150 years. Working with the ladies from the UDC local Sons of Confederate
Veterans camps were asked to provide a guard detail for the display. Men from
Colonel Reeves 11th Texas Cavalry Camp 349, Lee-Bourland Camp 1848, and Captain Bob Lee
Camp 2198 participated. It was our honor to assist the UDC in this event. The
ladies of Gainesville and Sherman 150 years ago came together to give their own small
contribution to the war effort without realizing their creation then is a beautiful piece
of art and history today.
Copyright © 2011-2016 by SCV Camp 2198